Losing weight is often a daunting task and it is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of information that is out there in the media and on the internet. Weight loss is a result of a strong lifestyle change that incorporates healthy eating and appropriate levels of exercise. It is not an easy task, but in order to see success you must break down the way the body works and how it responds to proper eating and training.
Many people jump from one gimmick to another and never see any real success over the long term. Losing weight with one method, gaining weight back, and then starting all over again is the typical cycle that occurs.
Not only is being overweight a strain on self esteem and image, it can lead to serious health problems.Overweight individuals are at higher risk for diabetes, heart disease, cardiovascular issues, joint pains, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, gallbladder problems, and even cancer.
Developing a healthy lifestyle can lower the instance of these issues and also lead to more energy and an overall sense of well being. Here are several tips to help individuals lose weight in a healthy, progressive way that ultimately leads to a lifestyle change that will eliminate up and down dieting.
1. Strength Training- strength training is necessary to increase your metabolism and change your body composition. Lean muscle is a very active tissue and will burn calories “at rest” at a much higher rate than fat tissue. Strength training workouts also elevate the metabolism, so when performed consistently, the metabolism is elevated and eventually works at that rate.
2. Interval Training- Rid yourself of the boring, slow cardio training and ramp up your workouts with interval training. Interval work is a much more efficient and effective way of training your body for fat loss and weight loss. You will burn a higher amount of calories and also burn calories after the workout.
3. Healthy Eating- Avoid fad diets and restriction diets. Instead, stick to a well balanced plan with 5-6 small meals and snacks per day. In order to lose weight, you must keep your metabolic rate high, and eating every few hours will do this. Balance your meal plans with lean protein, low fat dairy, nuts, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and plenty of water.
4. Hire a personal trainer- Hiring a trainer will get you on the right track to efficiently and effectively lose weight. You will not want to waste a lot of valuable time doing the wrong type of exercise. Training will give you motivation, push you past your normal limits, help you keep proper technique, and also give you customized workouts that will maximize your time and efforts.
5. Stay motivated- Set short term and long term goals that will keep you on track. Shooting blindly for a goal of “losing weight” is not enough. You must set small milestones that build up to a big picture goal. Meeting with your trainer will help this process along.
Weight loss is all about developing a healthy lifestyle and becoming comfortable with exercise and healthy nutrition. If all of the pieces of fitness and nutrition are in place, weight loss becomes a much simpler process. Avoid up and down dieting and stay away from fad diets if you want to keep weight off.